Obesity statistics are more staggering than you might imagine. The latest information from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) shows 39.6 percent of Americans are obese.
Overall, there are over 100 million obese people in this country and these numbers continue to climb.
Half of the world’s adult population will be overweight or obese by 2030!
Studies show we have a global epidemic of obesity in all age groups for both developed and developing countries. In 2017, The Guardian reported that there are now 124 million obese children worldwide.
Researchers define obesity as a condition where fat accumulates in the body to become a risk factor or marker for many chronic diseases including type II diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, mood disorders, heart disease, reproductive disorders, liver disease, hypertension, and even cancer.
Research shows obesity is often a major risk factor for development of disease, significant disability, and premature death.
Obesity also creates lost productivity and missed economic growth because of things like lost workdays, lower work productivity, mortality, and permanent disability.
What is even worse is that there are self-proclaimed world-renowned experts with their endless “miracles,’ tips, tricks, hacks, and products all in the name of being “healthy.” Every year new diet books appear, fad diets or “superfoods” get positioned as “miracle cures” to melt away fat.
And yet, obesity rates continue to skyrocket!
A Functional Medicine Approach to Weight Loss
More and more people are consuming processed foods such as cereals, white bread, cakes, cookies, potato chips, sugary soft drinks, energy drinks, flavored granola bars, and sweetened fruit juices to name a few. We are exposed to environmental toxins, have sedentary jobs, and do not exercise. We are not eating enough foods rich in probiotics and prebiotics that support gut health.
According to a recent article in the Mayo Clinic Proceedings – Consumption of Ultra Processed Foods and Mortality: A National Prospective Cohort in Spain – “ultra-processed foods are highly palatable, habit forming, convenient, micro-biologically safe, affordable, and aggressively marketed and advertised.”
It is clear why there is an obesity epidemic!
THERE IS HELP
- We take a Clinical Nutrition/Functional Medicine approach to the problem
- After a comprehensive consultation and examination, we may request blood work. With the blood work we analyze your unique biochemistry and metabolism.
- Also, we may order additional blood work such as hormones, analyze environmental toxins, food sensitivities, and intestinal permeability.
- Food sensitivity testing is a simple blood test that will tell us what foods you should be eating and what foods you should be avoiding. This is a game changer as we take out the bad and add in the good.
- We take away the foods that are creating inflammation that leads to obesity and chronic lifestyle diseases.
This is a game changer!
Losing weight provides significant health benefits. Not only do you look better, you feel more confident, and reduce your risk for chronic lifestyle diseases such as type 2 diabetes.
- Every patient is incredibly unique.
- We take the time to really get to know you, an understand why you are overweight.
- We create a customized and personalized nutrition program to fit your unique biochemistry.
- We want to make permanent lifestyle changes!
WHAT WE CAN RECOMMEND
Our program is based on our consultation, examination, as well as blood work results. From there we can recommend a personalized program that can include:
- Focus on whole, real, unprocessed foods. These foods are high-quality and nutrient-dense. Foods will be plant-based foods and wild-caught seafood, grass-fed beef, or another high-quality animal protein.
- Reduce or eliminate sugar and other food sensitivities. Researchers note that we consume up to 152 pounds of sugar each year, and that does not include the starchy foods that convert to sugar in our bodies. Food sensitivities including dairy and gluten, which can trigger an immune reaction can lead to inflammation and a leaky gut, and can keep you overweight or obese.
- Eat plenty of gut-supporting foods. Your gut can become imbalanced. From there health issues such as obesity and metabolic syndrome can occur. A high-quality probiotic supplement containing billions of microorganisms can really help here.
- Manage inflammation. Overall, we eat too many inflammatory omega-6 fatty acids (in foods like vegetable oils and grain-fed beef) and too few anti-inflammatory such as omega-3 fatty acids. Chronic, low-grade inflammation contributes to obesity and other metabolic disease. We need to consume more omega 3 fatty acids such as wild-caught fish, freshly ground flaxseed, and walnuts.
- Keep good sleep hygiene. We want our patients to experience restful restorative sleep – weight loss becomes easier when we sleep well. Turn off electronics before bedtime, find a sleep ritual that helps you unwind, and aim for 8 – 9 hours of quality, uninterrupted sleep every night.
- Manage stress levels. Research shows chronic stress can contribute to obesity and we must learn to manage our stress – physical exercise, breathing exercises, meditation, and yoga can all be beneficial.
- Set yourself up for success. Plan, plan, plan. Prepping your meals or using a meal prep service can be invaluable.
Want real answers from real doctors who REALLY CARE about YOUR HEALTH and the health of YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY?
Taking guesswork out of being overweight!
That is what we’re here for.
Schedule a call, tele-health consultation or a SAFE in person visit. Our team is equipped and ready to join you in your path to wellness and to help you continue that path moving forward.
REAL ANSWERS REAL RESULTS.
Dan Cardellichio, DC, MS
46 Newman Springs Road East
Red Bank, NJ