So long summer and all of your delicious bounty (yes, we’re looking at you, watermelon). It’s harvest time! Here are healthy foods that celebrate all that autumn has to offer.
1. Think apples. Apple picking is one of the top activities for fall. But what are you going to do with all those apples? Try incorporating them into easy, healthy dinners. Here are some ideas:
- Pork Chops with Sautéed Apples and Polenta. Remember The Brady Bunch episode where Peter did his best Bogart impression when saying “pork chops and applesauce”? In this recipe, you skip the applesauce and sauté fresh apples instead, which is what makes this dish so special—and good for you, too.
- Apple, Broccoli, and Butterbean Salad with Walnut Dressing. Packed with protein, veggies, and fruit. Seriously, what’s not to love?
- Get more apple yumminess in this roundup of apple dinner recipes.
- 25 Fresh Ways to Have Butternut Squash for Dinner. Just in case you need a few more ideas!
- 16 Tasty Squash Recipes. We love Real Simple magazine because it always delivers on its promise: keeping meals simple, yet delicious. In particular, check out spaghetti squash with almonds (vitamins and protein!) and chicken with acorn squash and tomatoes.
- The Greatist has created a list of 55 healthy seasonal squash recipes. You’re bound to find at least one that the whole family will like. (We urge you to check out the butternut squash Alfredo sauce. SO GOOD, but so much better for you than the full cheese version.)
- 18 recipes for an underrated root vegetable. This recipe roundup is all about turnips, which is one of our favorites.
- 5 healthy root vegetable recipes from around the web. The Greatist always rounds up awesome recipes, and this article doesn’t disappoint!
- Roasted root vegetables with rosemary. This is an easy way to try out an assortment of root veggies to see which ones the family gravitates towards.
- Curried sweet potato latkes with homemade apple pear sauce. This recipe uses two fall favorites: sweet potatoes and pears. It sounds decadent, but it’s healthy!
- Orange glazed chicken with pears. Your chicken never looked or tasted so good.
- Spinach, pear, and goat cheese salad with pecans. A classic that’s perfect for a quick, satisfying supper.
- Broccoli, white bean, and cheddar soup. Easy-to-make comfort food that’s also good for you? Um, yes, please!
- 12 low-carb cauliflower recipes. Discover why some people are calling cauliflower the new kale.
- Broccoli and cauliflower casserole. Because why not marry the two?
Do you have any fall favorites? We’d love to hear about them! Share your ideas/recipes in the comments.